Does Steam Methane Reforming Play a Huge Role in Reducing Global Carbon Emissions?
~ Paris Climate Agreement now in effect – November 4th, 2016
What is Steam Methane Reforming?
Steam Methane reforming (SMR) is an endothermic process in which methane is heated by steam to produce hydrogen to use as a fuel. In energy, SMR is the most widely used process in the United States for the generation of hydrogen fuel.
Why use Steam Methane Reforming?
Steam Methane Reforming is being used in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by using input from some of the biggest carbon emission problems in The World. By capturing the bio-gas emitted from landfills, sewage, farming, food waste, and converting the bio-methane into compressed hydrogen using a SMR Power Tap, the end result is carbon-negative. The bio-methane is already being created today; now we need to use Steam Methane Reforming to complete the cycle. In addition, Steam Methane Reforming is the most cost-effective way today to produce hydrogen in mass. This is one way we can reach Corporate America to fuel forklift fleets in distribution centers and warehouses using zero-emission hydrogen gas. This equates to substantial energy savings and a big time sustainability initiative.
Where to obtain Bio-methane?
There are a variety of different ways to capture Bio-Methane that is needed to produce zero-emission hydrogen fuel for your material handling operation:
- Animal Manure – Dairy Farming - 1.5 billion cattle
- Landfills – Municipal Solid Waste
- Biomass – Wood
- Human Waste – Waste Water Treatment Facilities
- Plant Energy - Agriculture
Will this technology help bridge President Obama’s promise amongst 200 other nations?
Carbon Pollution is the Ultimate WHY
- Carbon Pollution Measures – Milestone – The World passes 400 parts per million threshold of atmospheric carbon dioxide in September of 2016, never to return below it in our lifetimes, according to scientists. President Obama has pledged to reduce US carbon emissions by 26-28 percent of 2005 levels by 2025.
- Global Warming – Scientists are reporting and expect to see global temperatures to rise by 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit by 2030, and is showing no sign of slowing down. Since the Industrial Revolution, humans have disrupted greenhouse gas emissions which has greatly increased global temperatures.
- Paris Climate Agreement – The Paris Agreement was finalized in December of 2015, where 200 nations agreed to combat fossil fuel emissions effective November 4th, 2016. TODAY. Most scientists and researchers believe that the plan is not doing enough in order to avoid catastrophe. Under the agreement, scientists expect to see temperatures to still rise by 3.6 degrees F.
In order for Hydrogen Fuel to succeed as a viable resource, successful material handling companies need to buy-in to Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Forklifts for their distribution centers and warehouses. The only way hydrogen fuel will be available is if there are hydrogen powered vehicles in the marketplace. Because the hydrogen industry is in its infancy, the US government would greatly facilitate its growth by extending tax rebate incentives for another 3 – 5 years in order to make this cost-effective for its consumers. It also starts with you, Corporate America! Buy-in to a technology that is more efficient than anything you have been accustomed to, safer for your employees, and plays a huge role in Saving The World!
Stay tuned as I dig deeper into how a hydrogen fuel cell works and why it will save you $$$$.